Welcome to the Archaeology at Michigan Website!
Developed as part of the Winter 2014 LSA Research Theme Semester in Archaeology, Material Culture, and the Ancient World, this site highlights the research, teaching, collection, and other resources for archaeological research at the University of Michigan. With some 50 faculty, curators, research scientists, and museum professionals distributed across 13 different academic units, U-M researchers are conducting fieldwork and collections-based research on five continents, and on periods spanning from half a million years ago to the present. This site provides an introduction to their work and to the rich resources for teaching and scholarship on Archaeology, Material Culture, and the Ancient World at the University of Michigan.
- Jeffrey R. Parsons, 1939-2021.
- The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology is now open to University of Michigan students, faculty, and staff. The museum is operating its galleries at reduced capacity; only members of the U-M community are able to visit the museum at this time. Admission is free, but visits must be scheduled in advance.
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Classical Studies
- Department of History
- Department of the History of Art
- Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
- Department of Middle East Studies
- Doctoral Program in Anthropology and History
- Interdepartmental Program in Classical Art and Archaeology
- Museum Studies Program
- Museum of Anthropological Archaeology
- Kelsey Museum of Archaeology
- Museum of Paleontology
- Papyrology Collection